NIAGARA FALLS – A grease fire that got out of control was blamed for a blaze that caused $35,000 damage just after 9:30 p.m. Wednesday to a house at 2235 Cleveland Avenue.

David Thomas, who is in his 50s and was the only resident of the two-story house, escaped without injury, according to Daniel M. Ciszek, chief of fire prevention for the Niagara Falls Fire Department.

“It appears that [Thomas] started some grease on the stove and then went upstairs and either forgot about it or mistimed the heating of the grease,” Ciszek said. “The fire extended to the kitchen and into the dining and living room areas, as well as the exterior back wall.”

He said firefighters rescued one dog from the house

“The dog was smart enough to run into the basement to escape the smoke,” Ciszek said.

Damage was listed at $20,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents.