A fire late Monday night extensively damaged a three-story home on the Chautauqua Institution grounds, but volunteer firefighters from four companies managed to save the home and prevent the blaze from spreading to the house next door, just a few feet away, authorities said.

A Chautauqua Institution police officer on routine patrol spotted the blaze at 30 Ramble Ave. and reported it at 11:45 p.m. The home is owned by a West Virginia family.

Volunteers from the Chautauqua Fire Department found extensive smoke and fire when they responded to the alarm.

“We had heavy fire showing through a second-floor bathroom, coming out of two windows,” said Scott Cummings, a Chautauqua County fire investigator.

Firefighters from Mayville, Ashville and Sherman joined the Chautauqua Fire Department at the scene, bringing the fire under control by about 1 a.m. today. The last firefighters left the scene at about 4 a.m.

Cummings praised firefighters for saving the single-family wood-frame house and preventing the blaze from spreading to a home about five or six feet away.

Investigators say the fire left at least $200,000 damage.

The fire has been blamed on an electrical problem inside the bathroom wall.