KIANTONE – A woman escaped from a burning house on Warren Jamestown Boulevard Monday morning after she was awakened by a smoke detector going off, according to the Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team.

The woman was not injured but a dog died in the fire, officials said.

The blaze was reported just before 9:30 a.m. at 1488 Warren Jamestown.

The Kiantone Fire Department responded and was assisted by firefighters from Busti, Falconer, Frewsburg, Kennedy, Lakewood and Panama.

Investigators believe the fire started in the basement and was caused by a problem with a power strip.

Authorities reminded the public to change the batteries of smoke detectors in their homes.