The town Police Department will hold an informational event “A Shooter in Our Schools: Is Our Police Department Prepared?” on Wednesday evening in the auditorium at Maryvale High School.
Because of the recent incidents of violence in Aurora, Colo. and at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., Chief David J. Zack and the police department realize there is “elevated levels of concern in communities everywhere.”
That’s why the department has prepared this presentation in an effort “to provide parents with a brief history of active shooter incidents in the United States, facts related to those incidents and the Cheektowaga Police Department’s readiness to deal with such an event,” according to a Cheektowaga Police informational flyer.
The 6:30 p.m. event is open to those individuals who have previously registered for the presentation.
The Buffalo News will provide live details from the presentation in an online reporter’s blog at BuffaloNews.com.
Also this week:
• A new landlord licensing law will be among the items considered by the Town Board at its 6:45 p.m. Monday regular meeting in council chambers at Town Hall, 3301 Broadway. The resolution, which has been in the works for more than a year, is sponsored by Councilman Stanley J. Kaznowski III and Supervisor Mary F. Holtz. It will, if approved, require “any landlord who rents out four or more residential dwelling units to apply for a landlord license.” Town officials said the intent behind the ordinance is “to help with quality of life issues for neighborhoods that suffer from recurring criminal and public nuisance activity by renters and guests.” Follow the meeting live in an online blog at BuffaloNews.com.
• The Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board will hold a 6:30 p.m. Monday meeting in Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, 166 Halstead Ave.
• The Cheektowaga Conservation Advisory Council will hold a 6 p.m. Thursday meeting in the council office conference room at town hall.
• The choral groups of the Cheektowaga-Sloan School District will present their annual All District Choral Festival at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Greenauer Auditorium in John F. Kennedy High School, 305 Cayuga Creek Road. Students from Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School’s second-grade choir, Woodrow Wilson’s choral groups as well as John F. Kennedy middle and high schools’ choruses will be performing. All of the students will then sing in a special finale to the concert.
• Maryvale High School will hold a college panel night at 6 p.m. Thursday from the auditorium at the 1050 Maryvale Drive high school.
• Depew High School will hold a College Information Night at 7 p.m. Thursday in the high school’s cafeteria, 5201 S. Transit Road. The event is designed for parents and students in 9th to 11th grades. District officials said some of the topics to be discussed will include the application and admissions process, the SATs and ACTs, financial aid, transfer programs, residence life and others.
• The Maryvale School District will hold a district-wide theme basket auction on Friday from the high school auditorium, the Robert A. Binner Educational Center gym and cafeteria, both at 1050 Maryvale Drive.