Walmart shoppers were evacuated Sunday morning after a fire broke out in an overhead heating unit at the Transit Road superstore in Clarence, reported Amherst Fire Control.

Firefighters from the Harris Hill Fire Company responded to the smoky blaze, which was reported at 9:16 a.m. in the Walmart at 5033 Transit Road. As a precautionary measure and because of the smoky conditions firefighters evacuated the store, said Amherst fire dispatchers.

The store with around-the-clock service remained open for business Sunday night.