LOCKPORT – A Lockport man who allegedly tried to kill his girlfriend’s seven-year-old daughter on New Year’s Eve was arraigned on a seven-count indictment Friday in Niagara County Court.
David L. Alfonso, 28, pleaded not guilty to attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, first- and second-degree strangulation, second-degree obstructing governmental administration and resisting arrest.
County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas refused any bail for Alfonso, who had been held in lieu of $1 million bail set in Lockport City Court after his Dec. 31 arrest.
“We believe this individual is a danger to the community,” Deputy District Attorney Holly E. Sloma said.
Assistant Public Defender Michael E. Benedict asked for $100,000 bail, which he said Alfonso likely could make, but Farkas said no.
If convicted as charged, Alfonso faces a maximum of 25 years in prison.
Sloma said Alfonso “attacked a 7-year-old girl, choking her into unconsciousness, only stopping when he was attacked by the girl’s mother with a knife.”
The 27-year-old mother, whom police found armed with a butcher knife, was not charged.
Police found the blood-covered Alfonso at the corner of Lock and Monroe streets shortly after 2 p.m.
Sloma said Alfonso had to be subdued with a Taser electronic stun gun. She said Alfonso told police, “I’ll kill all the world … Just give me my AK-47.”
The girl came to and ran out of the Monroe Street house, first trying to get neighbors to open their doors before running to her grandmother’s house on Church Street.
The girl spent two days in Women & Children’s Hospital.
Police said Alfonso tried to tear off the girl’s jaw, teeth and tongue.
The girl’s grandmother claimed in the wake of the attack that Alfonso was a regular drug user who was allegedly high on bath salts at the time. However, Sloma and Benedict both said there was no evidence Alfonso was on drugs at the time of the attack.
Sloma told Farkas that Alfonso has another pending case in Lockport City Court, an attempted second-degree assault charge for allegedly threatening to stab an adult complainant.
City Court officials said that allegedly occurred on Oct. 4. Alfonso is due for a nonjury trial in that case on March 6.
Farkas scheduled a pretrial conference May 22 and a tentative trial date of July 29.