A Winter Wonders Camp to help children to fill their time with fun during this week’s winter break from school will be held from Tuesday to Thursday at the Burchfield Nature and Art Center.
The mid-winter recess camp will be offered for children in kindergarten through fourth grade.
The sessions, to be held from 1 to 3 p.m. at the 2001 Union Road center, will be:
• Tuesday – Animals in Winter. There will be discussion as to how animals survive the winter as well as a hike to hunt for tracks and other clues as well as a craft project.
• Wednesday – Music, Games and Other Fun. Children will make their own musical instruments as well as a dominoes game.
• Thursday – Puppetry. Participants will create sock puppets, finger puppets and paper bag puppets. Then, they will put on a puppet show.
The fee to attend is $10 per session or $25 for all three sessions. Additional children in the same family can attend for $7.50 per session or $18 for all three.
For additional information call 677-4843.
In other news around town, the Vigilant Fire Company installed officers and outlined its goals for the year at its 120th annual installation dinner on Feb. 9.
The event emphasized fire safety and prevention, first aid training, blood pressure checks and community events “above and beyond the usual response to first aid and fire calls.” Member development, training and certification also were discussed along with the fire company’s scholarship program, open house demonstrations and group home visits.
Fire district and company officers who were administered the oath of office for the year included:
• Board of Fire Commissioners: David Klawitter, Richard Cramer, James McCullough, William Cleary and Robert Safe; secretary, Marlene Leone; treasurer, Diane Nowicki; attorney, John Molloy.
• Fire district officers: Fire chief, John Gullo; first assistant, Andy Oscapala; second assistant, Daniel Sikorski; fire captain, James Liberatore; fire lieutenants, Thomas Casey, Edward Stoddard and Brandyn Gorges; fire police captain, Donald Kraft; EMS captain, Barbara Mann; fire lieutenant, Christopher Cramer; safety officer, Edwin Lehsten Jr.; and fire prevention officers Jolene Bojar, Joseph Wasierski and Brandyn Gorges.
• Company officers are: president, Thomas Robertson; vice president, Ryan Graves; treasurer, Lisa Lehsten; secretary, Edwin Lehsten Jr.; and sergeant-at-arms, Louis Gimbrone.