ADVERTISEMENT

A teenager lighting matches in a bedroom ignited a house on fire in the city’s LaSalle neighborhood, police and fire officials said Saturday.

The fire started at around 6 p.m. Friday in a second-floor bedroom of 220 Stockbridge Ave., fire officials said.

Brandeon J. Ball, 18, of that address, was charged with fourth-degree arson, second-degree criminal mischief and second-degree reckless endangerment for allegedly using matching to start the fire in a garbage can, according to police reports.

The fire caused $10,000 damage to the building and $5,000 to its contents.

Also on Friday, Buffalo firefighters were called just before 6 p.m. to extinguish a fire in a vacant house at 126 Reed Street in the city’s Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood.

The fire was started on the outside of the house and caused $10,000 damage to the structure, fire officials said.