ADVERTISEMENT

With the second phase of the Parker-Fries sewer project ahead of schedule, Town of Tonawanda officials approved several resolutions Monday related to part three, which is expected to begin this fall.

“Originally, phase two was supposed to be completed in November of this year,” Ken Maving, director of the Water Resources Department, said during a public hearing on the project. “We are ahead of schedule with the contractor.”

Completion now is anticipated in July – after the contractor, Concrete Applied Technologies of Alden, takes a break later this month. When work resumes the week of March 4, it will focus on Brighton Road.

The four-phase project, which began in 2010, is part of a five-part townwide overhaul planned for the sanitary sewer system. The work is necessary, in part, to prevent sanitary sewer overflows from ending up in local waterways during wet weather.

Phase three will cost an estimated $16 million; a bond resolution for that amount was among the resolutions adopted Monday by lawmakers.

The work involves replacing a little more than 11,000 linear feet of sanitary sewer – more than half of it along Parkhurst Boulevard. The work zone includes several sanitary sewer overflows, which channel sanitary waste through storm sewers in times of wet weather to prevent backups in homes.

“We are eliminating some. We are abating the overflows on others,” Maving said. “We are not eliminating structures.”

Installation of larger sewer lines, including 5,500 feet of 42-inch pipe, will help with the flow, Maving said. All the work will be done through open cuts, as opposed to tunneling used for part of phase one.

The work will go out to bid in August, with the contract awarded in September. Work is expected to start in November and be completed by April 2015.

Also Monday, the past president of the Ken-Ton School District’s Parent Teacher Student Association asked what the town is doing to ensure the safety of children. Hours earlier, four schools were placed in “lockdown” mode because of a report of a suspicious man, possibly carrying a gun, in the area of Colvin Boulevard and Highland Parkway.

Ann Morelli wants the town to help fund the School Resource Officer program, which previously had town police officers assigned full time to each of the two high schools. Cuts to the school district’s 2011-12 budget left the two officers sharing one job.

“We have a great relationship with the school district. We have been working on it,” said Town Supervisor Anthony F. Caruana.

email: jhabuda@buffnews.com