Town of Tonawanda
A family ice skating session Saturday at Mang Park will kick off “Get Fit Kenmore,” a year-long wellness initiative sponsored by the Kenmore Village Improvement Society.
“The ... initiative will strive to help everyone become more aware of brain health, emotional well-being and physical vitality through wellness programs coordinated by KVIS or by referral to other existing programs,” said Melissa Foster, president of the civic organization.
Other activities Saturday, to be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. inside the Mang Cultural Center – on Mang Avenue between Wilber Avenue and Military Road – include health screenings, demonstrations, giveaways, health evaluations and special offers from local businesses.
Participants are invited to put a leaf, with their name and wellness goal, on the Kenmore Tree of Health, which will be displayed throughout the year at various village locations.
Also this week:
• Monday is the deadline to reserve a seat at Friday’s Ken-Ton Chamber luncheon, which will feature Kenneth Swanekamp, Erie County’s director of business assistance, tackling the topic: “The River Road Corridor – Re-imagining the Tonawandas.” The luncheon begins at noon at Classics V Banquet Hall, 2425 Niagara Falls Blvd., Amherst. Tickets are $18; the lunch includes a salad, hot entree, dessert and coffee. Call the chamber at 874-1202 for a reservation.
• The Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday in council chambers at the municipal building, 2919 Delaware Ave. A work session begins at 4 in the second-floor conference room.
• The monthly meeting of Kenmore Village Improvement Society begins at 7 p.m. Monday in the Kenmore Community Center, 135 Wilber Ave.
• The Ken-Ton School Board is holding a regular meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the community room of the Philip Sheridan Building, 3200 Elmwood Ave.
• Friday is the deadline for nominations to Kenmore East High School’s Hall of Distinction, which honors former students who have exhibited values, qualities and characteristics traditionally held, fostered and encouraged by the school. Nomination forms are available at www.kealumni.org or by calling the school at 874-8402. Induction ceremonies are scheduled for May 10.