BATAVIA – The Genesee County Chamber of Commerce has announced its annual award winners, who will be honored at a ceremony April 14 in the Clarion Hotel, Batavia.
• Business of the Year: Oliver’s Candies, the area’s famous confectionery started in 1933 by Joseph B. Oliver in a push cart.
• Agricultural Business of the Year: Empire Tractor, a New Holland farm implement dealer in the Town of Batavia.
• Innovative Community Contributor of the Year: Friends of the Batavia Peace Garden, a recently dedicated park next to the Holland Land Office.
• Special Recognition of the Year: St. Joseph’s Catholic School, founded in 1883 and today serving about 300 students. It is the only surviving Catholic school in a city that once had four.
• Geneseeans of the Year: James Neider, active in veterans affairs through a long connection with the American Legion; and Lois Gerace, who heads a local real estate firm.