ADVERTISEMENT

Smoke from a burned-out drive belt on a rooftop heating unit caused the brief evacuation of the McDonald’s restaurant on Grand Island.

Grand Island Fire Department spokesman Ray Pauley said firefighters responded to the report of smoke in the 2231 Grand Island Blvd. restaurant shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday.

Assistant Fire Chief Chris Soluri said patrons and employees were evacuated because of light smoke in the dining area.

Power was shut off to the heating unit “and there was no other damage since there was no fire involving the structure itself,” Soluri added.