•Daemen College’s Global & Local Sustainability Program Lecture Series, 7-8 p.m., Daemen College, Schenck Hall, Room 202, 43 Main St., Amherst. Program: “History of the Industrial city: Buffalo, Past, Present and Future," presented by Clinton E. Brown, founder of Clinton Brown Company Architecture. Free and open to the public.
• The Buffalo Niagara Travel Professionals, networking and dinner meeting, 5:15 p.m. Hard Rock Café Niagara Falls, 333 Prospect St., Niagara Falls. Cost: $25, member; $30, guest and late fee.
• BNI Executive Marketing Team, breakfast meeting, 6:45-8:30 a.m., Holiday Inn Buffalo Airport, 4600 Genesee St., Cheektowaga. 818-2526.
• Rotary Club of Buffalo Sunrise, breakfast meeting, 7:30-8:30 a.m., Saturn Club, Founders Room, 977 Delaware Ave., Buffalo. Cost, $15. Information, 667-6613.
• The Parachute Group, a networking group for downsized employees and career changers, 10 a.m., Lakewood Town Offices (upstairs), 20 W. Summit St., Lakewood. Call 276-1127.
•Center for the Study of Art, Architecture, History and Nature and Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, lecture discussion series, “Imagine The Arts as Our Universal Language: Why The Arts Matter,” noon-1 p.m., Central Library, 1 Lafayette Square. Speaker: Robert M. Bennett, Chancellor Emeritus, NYSED Board of Regents. Information, www.buffaloah.com.
• The Amherst Chamber of Commerce Emerging Business Leaders young professionals group, ProMix, professional mixer, 5:30-7:30 p.m., New Era Cap Co. café, 160 Delaware Ave. Program: Patrick Finan will lead a workshop on visioning during the event. Cost: $5, members; $15, nonmembers. Registration, visit www.amherst.org or 632-6905.
• Executive Taking Action Forum, Life Coach Roundtable, a leadership and personal development networking group, 7 p.m., Holiday Inn Buffalo Airport, 4600 Genesee St., Cheektowaga. Reservations, 202-8423.
• BNI Advantage, networking meeting, 6:45-8:30 a.m., Wheatfield Recreation Center, Church Road, North Tonawanda. Call 433-2402.
• The Lancaster Area Chamber of Commerce, morning business exchange networking group meeting, 8 a.m., Dutch Mill Family Restaurant, 5259 Broadway, Lancaster. Call 681-9755.
• Pro-Net Professional Networking Group meeting, 8:30 a.m., Amherst Chamber of Commerce, 350 Essjay Road, Suite 200, Amherst. Reservations, 632-6905.
• The Parachute Group, a networking group for individuals who are in career/job transition, 10 a.m., Harlem Road Community Center, 4255 Harlem Road, Amherst. Call 276-1777.
• Working for Downtown, Brown Bag Lunch Series, noon-1 p.m., Central Library, 1 Lafayette Square (second-floor meeting room). Program: The Graycliff Estate: Wright on the Lake, presented by June Crawford, co-chair, Wright on the Road Program. Required reservations or to order a $10 box lunch, contact Lynn Waclawek, email@example.com.
• Business Helping Business, (BHB), networking meeting, 4:30 p.m., Pearl Street Grill, 76 Pearl St., Buffalo. Information, www.bhbwny.com or 926-8341.
• The Canisius College Women’s Business Center, “Sister Mixer,”winter networking event, 5-7 p.m., Larkin Center of Commerce, 701 Seneca St., Buffalo. Fee, $30, person; free, WBC clients. Hors d’oeuvres, desserts and beverages served by Everyday Gourmet. Registration, 888-8280 or canisius.edu/wbc. Information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Buffalo Niagara PDMA Winter Meeting and intellectual property expert panel discussion, 5-8 p.m., Hodgson Russ, 140 Pearl St., Suite 100, Buffalo. Information, www.pdma.org/p/cm/ld/fid=55.
• The Buffalo Chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals, dinner and networking meeting, 5:15 p.m., Millennium Hotel and Resort, 2040 Walden Ave., Buffalo. Program: “Meetings, Virtual Teams: How the Move to Virtual is Affecting Admins.” Information and reservations, 874-1006 or 923-4811 or debbie email@example.com.
• The Buffalo Niagara Chapter of New York State Women, networking dinner meeting, 5:30 p.m. Protocol Restaurant, 6766 Transit Road, Williamsville. Cost: $30, member; $35, guest. Registration, www.bncwomeninc.org.
Seminars and classes
• “How to Avoid Probate & Estate Taxes,” presented by Robert Friedman, 6 p.m., Montgomery Park, 6363 Transit Road, E. Amherst. Registration, 631-9999.
• Peregrine’s Landing Senior Community, Medicare Made Easy, 6-7 p.m., 575 Cayuga Creek Road, Cheektowaga. Reservations, 893-3000, Ext. 102.
• The Western New York Chapter of the New York State Commercial Association of REALTORS, (NYSCAR) Annual Awards Dinner and installation of officers’ ceremony, 5:30 p.m., Acqua Restaurant, 2192 Niagara St., Buffalo. Information and reservations, Nick Malagisi, 633-9601; Alan Hastings, 886-3325 Ext. 13 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• BNI Platinum, networking meeting, 6:45 a.m., Milos Restaurant, 5877 Main St., Williamsville. Information, 864-0478.
• BNI Pinnacle, networking meeting, 6:45-8:30 a.m., Transit Valley Country Club, 8920 Transit Road, East Amherst. Reservations, 585-704-4383.
• BNI Signature, networking meeting, 6:45-8:30 a.m., K of C Banquet Facility, 2735 Union Road, Cheektowaga. Information, 886-1257, Ext. 201.
• The WNY Business Alliance, business-to-business networking meeting, 7:30-8:30 a.m., Millennium Hotel and Resort, 2040 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga. Call 310-3235.
• The Western New York Business Network Group for professionals, 7:45 a.m., Comfort Inn, 1 Flint Road, Amherst, Information, 553-8883.
• Western New York Farm Show, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., today and Friday; 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Saturday. Showplex On The Fairgrounds, 5600 McKinley Parkway, Hamburg. Free admission and parking. Information, www.wnyfarmshow.com.
• Rupp, Baase, Pfalzgraf, Cunningham & Coppola, presentation, 4-5;30 p.m., Sonoma Grille, 5010 Main St., Amherst. Program; “The 2013 Challenge: Simple Strategies to Protect Your Business.” Networking cocktail reception to follow. Cost, $15 donation to Girls on the Run. Reservations, email@example.com or 854-3400 Ext. 230.
• Working for Downtown, Thursday in the City, 5-8 p.m., Papaya, 118 W. Chippewa St. Information, www.workingfordowntown.org.
• Rotary Club of Buffalo, Enchanged Evening, 5:30 p.m., Hotel@Lafayette, 391 Washington St., Buffalo. 854-3397.
• The Hamburg Chamber of Commerce, Student Star Awards Banquet, 6:30 p.m., Romanello’s South Restaurant, 5793 South Park Avenue. Information, 649-7917.
Seminars and classes
• Buffalo Chapter of Project Management Institute, 8 a.m.–noon and 12:30–4:30 p.m., Classics V Restaurant, 2425 Niagara Falls Blvd., Amherst. A.M. Program: Project Management Basic Toolbelt Skills: “Project Roles and Responsibilities.” P.M. Program: PM Advanced Toolbelt Skills: “Procurement Principles.” Earn 4 PDUs each class. Information, visit www.pmibuffalo.org.
• The Amherst Chamber of Commerce’s February Tools for Prosperity workshop, 8:30-10 a.m., Roberts Wesleyan College Buffalo Extension Campus, 6500 Sheridan Dr., Williamsville. Program: Leadership Effective Assimilation Process (L.E.A.P). Cost: $5, members; $25, nonmembers. Registration, 632-6905 or www.amherst.org.
• Niagara Frontier American Society for Training & Development (NFASTD), 7:30-9:30 a.m., Millennium Hotel and Resort, 2040 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga. Topic: “Motivating Audiences: Ten-Minute (or less) Energizers, Icebreakers, and Activities for Promoting Teamwork, Engagement, Creative Problem Solving and Laughter.” Cost; $20, members; $30, nonmembers. Registration, http://astdniagara.org.
• BNI Enterprise, networking meeting, 6:45-8:30 a.m., Fairdale Banquet Center, 672 Wehrle Drive, Amherst. Information, 316-2302.
• BNI Circle of Excellence, networking meeting, 6:45-9 a.m., Milo’s Restaurant, 5877 Main St., Williamsville. Call 408-2525.
• United Way Leadership Society Speaker Series, noon-1 p.m., United Way of Buffalo & Erie County Board Room, 742 Delaware Ave., Buffalo, Program: Result Driven Coaching and Development, presented by the Medaille College Leadership–Management Council. Reservations, 887-2746; information, www.uwbec.org/leadership.
• Erie County Industrial Development Agency Governance Committee meeting, 2:30 a.m., ECIDA, 143 Genesee St. Confirmations, 856-6525, Ext. 136.
• The Erie County Industrial Development Agency, Policy Committee Meeting, 8:30 a.m., ECIDA, 143 Genesee St., Buffalo. Confirmations, 856-6525, Ext. 136.
• Swiftwater Sail and Power Squadron, board and membership development program, 8 p.m., VFW Frontiersman Post 7545, 110 Elgin St, Tonawanda. Information, 688-5439.
• Buffalo Chapter of Project Management Institute, monthly dinner meeting, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Classics V Restaurant, 2425 Niagara Falls Blvd., Amherst. Program: “Taking it to the Next Level– a Project Review.” Earn 1.5 PDUs. Information, visit www.pmibuffalo.org.
• Cheektowaga Chamber of Commerce, NetWorks!, 5-7 p.m., Stuffed Chocolate, Ltd, 136 Walton, Amherst. Cost, $5. Reservations, 684-5838.
• The American Business Women’s Association of Western New York (ABWA), professional networking event, 5:30 p.m., Parings Wine Bar, 5893 Main St., Williamsville. Cost, $15, includes appetizers and cash bar. Advance registration, www.abwawny.com/events; click on the February 12 event link. Information, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Canisius College Center for Professional Development, “30-Under-30” young professionals networking event, 6-8 p.m., Milos Restaurant, 5877 Main St., Williamsville. Open to the public.
- 405 Letter: Court should uphold birth control coverage
- 152 Letter: Women, not their employers, should pay for birth control
- 137 Letter: Hatred of Obama is richly deserved
- 90 Letter: SAFE Act is flawed, needs to be repealed
- 89 Making the case for Core, King rejects argument that education standards are too difficult