Speaking in a hushed and nervous voice, Abdifatah called 911 at 4:05 p.m. April 18, 2011. He was killed by his stepfather a year later, April 17, 2012.

This is the transcript from his call to 911:

Male operator: 911, what is the common address of your complaint?

Abdifatah: My stepdad is abusing me, so could you please come?

Operator: Your dad is doing what?

Abdifatah: Abusing me.

Operator: When did this happen?

Abdifatah: It has been happening for about a year.

Operator: When was the last time, just now?

Abdifatah: No, like a few days ago.

Operator: What address are you at?

Abdifatah: Huh? 30 Guilford. Please come fast.

Operator: What is your name?

Abdifatah: Abdifatah Mohamud. He has been threatening me for almost my whole life.

Operator: Did he actually physically hit you?

Abdifatah: Yes, of course.

Operator: How old are you?

Abdifatah: Ten.

Operator: Where are you going to be waiting for us?

Abdifatah: Inside the house.

The call ended at 4:08 p.m. and a dispatcher sent a Ferry-Fillmore District patrol car to investigate. At about 4:15 p.m., Abdifatah called 911 a second time, and a female operator asked for the caller’s address, then asked about the nature of the complaint.

Operator: What’s going on?

Abdifatah: Child abuse.

Operator: Explain it.

Abdifatah: My stepdad has been hitting me for everything. He thinks it’s for my reason. He’s starts knocking [possibly mocking] me, but I never did anything.

Operator: OK, we have officers on the way.

Abdifatah: Please come very fast. It’s a matter of life and death.

Operator: Are there any weapons in your house?

Abdifatah: Huh?

Operator: Any guns?

Abdifatah: Yes, he has a machete and a Taser.

Operator: Have you seen it?

Abdifatah: No, not yet.

Operator: Well, I’m not going to put that in.

Abdifatah: He told me has been using it.

Operator: OK, I’ll let the officers know.

The police officer radioed in a summary of the investigation at 5:30 p.m. and reported that Abdifatah said his stepfather claimed to have a machete but that the boy had not seen it. Abdifatah stated that his stepfather has been physically abusing him and that the last time was a few days earlier. After the call, Buffalo Police contacted Erie County Child Protective Services to investigate possible child abuse.