ADVERTISEMENT

The careless discarding of a cigarette early today sparked a fire that caused $10,000 in damage to a Grand Island house.

Grand Island Fire Chief Kevin Koch told The Buffalo News the Grand Island Boulevard home of Thomas Turner and his family because a cigarette was “carelessly" disposed and fell into a pile of clothing in the basement. A second-floor smoke detector alerted Turner, 46, and his 18-year-old son to the fire about 1:35 a.m., Koch said.

The Turners quickly escaped the smoke and flames and were treated at the scene by fire company medics for possible smoke inhalation. Both declined to be taken to a hospital for examination, the chief said.

A firefighter suffered what the chief described as “a temporary medical problem related to overexertion.”

The fire, which was put out shortly after 3 a.m., caused $7,000 damage to the structure and $3,000 to contents, Koch said.