ADVERTISEMENT

WHEATFIELD – A 54-year-old Klemer Road man took advantage of the warm weather over the weekend to cook outside on his grill, which ended up catching fire and damaged part of his house, Niagara County sheriff’s deputies said.

Steven S. Waschensky told deputies that about 8:30 p.m. Saturday his granddaughter looked outside and saw flames on the outside of his house at 3652 Klemer Road.

Waschensky said he ran outside and found the gas grill at the rear of the house was on fire. Waschensky was able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but the fire damaged the grill and some vinyl siding.

He said he had been using a outdoor grill earlier in the day and had shut it off.

Adams Volunteer Fire Department responded and the fire.