ATTICA – A 40-by-80-foot barn was destroyed in a Sunday afternoon fire blamed on an electrical malfunction, Attica Fire Department Chief Robert Willard said.
Willard said the wood-frame barn contained two horses. They escaped unhurt, but a baler and a chopper were destroyed by the fire. No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $200,000.
The blaze, in a barn owned by Gene Redding at 69 High St., was reported at 3:14 p.m. and took about two hours to bring under control. Seven fire companies – Alexander, Town of Batavia, Bennington, Darien, North Java, Varysburg and the Wyoming Correctional Facility fire brigade – helped Attica firefighters. Willard said the crew from the prison included officers and about six inmates.