Thirteen residents were evacuated from their senior-care community late Friday night when a fire broke out in a bathroom ceiling fan, Amherst fire officials said.
Firefighters responded to the 9:32 p.m. alarm at Oxford House, 49 Tennyson Court, just west of Transit Road, between Main Street and Sheridan Drive. Main-Transit firefighters, the first to arrive on the scene, discovered the fire had extended into the ceiling, then the attic.
Main-Transit firefighters evacuated the residents, quickly extinguished the fire and began removing smoke from the building. No one was injured, authorities said.
Fire Chief James Lawida estimated the damage at $65,000.