Twenty Valley Winter Winefest
Winemakers, top Niagara Region chefs and food trucks offer revelers sustenance from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at 3836 Main St., Jordan Village, Ont. Call (905) 562-3636 or visit www.twentyvalley.ca.
THE WEEK’S LIST
The Oscar nominations were announced this week and the Golden Globes are Sunday. Awards season is in full gear, meaning all those super-serious film openings from December are now giving way to some good, old-fashioned popcorn movies. You won’t mistake these for best picture nominees, though we plan on having a rollicking good time.
• “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters,” Jan. 25. Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton are the leather-clad, weapon-toting title characters in a dark, action-packed reimagining of the fairy tale.
• “Warm Bodies,” Feb. 1. An unconventional zombie named R rescues a girl, falls in love and starts to become human. It’s a comedy.
• “A Good Day to Die Hard,” Feb. 14. Bruce is back. In this fifth “Die Hard,” Willis heads to Russia to help his son – who he discovers is a CIA operative. Game on.
• “Dark Skies,” Feb. 22. A family is targeted by supernatural entities in this film from the folks who brought us “Paranormal Activity” and “Insidious.” Keri Russell stars.
• “Oz: The Great and Powerful,” March 8. Sam Raimi gives us insight into the man behind the curtain and three (count ’em), three witches. James Franco stars with Rachel Weisz, Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams.