Orchard Park seniors citizens have raised $37,000 to fund a new senior center.
Jacqueline Briggs, president of the Senior Council of Orchard Park, said the 22 active members worked hard in the first year of the organization’s existence as a non-profit.
“Most of the people serving have never done fundraising prior to this year,” Briggs told the Town Board last week.
Various fundraisers included a pancake breakfast, T-shirts, barbecue chicken dinner, candy sales, theme baskets, drawings and working a concession stand at Ralph Wilson Stadium. A mailing was sent to nearly 700 members of the Orchard Park Chamber of Commerce, which produced a $200 donation from one small business, a disappointing result, she said.
“We want a larger senior center for the programs we need and we want adequate parking for our seniors who have difficulty walking very far,” Briggs said.
In education news, the state education commissioner has approved Orchard Park Central School District’s Annual Professional Performance Review Plan for teacher and principal evaluations.
Also this week:
• The town Historic Preservation Board will meet at 7 p.m. Monday in the municipal center, 4295 S. Buffalo St.
• The town Recreation Commission will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the municipal center.
• The village Planning Board will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the municipal center.
• The town Planning Board will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the municipal center.
• The Town Board will conduct a work session at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the supervisor’s conference room in the municipal center.