An Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremony for three of the area’s newest Eagle Scouts will be held this afternoon at Henesey Hall in the Infant of Prague Church, 921 Cleveland Drive.
The scouts to be honored at the 3 p.m. ceremony include Dominic A. Cinelli, Matthew E. Diem and Matthew L. Lanning. All are affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America Troop 470 chartered with the Cheektowaga church.
Cinelli and Diem are cousins. Both, and friend, Lanning, started together in Cub Scout Pack 470 a dozen years ago while in the first grade. All graduated together into Boy Scouts at the end of fifth grade. As required for the Eagle rank, each boy completed a service project, according to troop leaders.
Those projects included:
• Diem assisting the Cleve Hill Little League in a community project by helping design and build roofs for the dugouts at a baseball diamond.
• Lanning benefitting Family Promise of WNY food pantry by helping collect food and build shelving.
• Cinelli helped complete landscaping improvements at the Grand Island Islandview Apartments, which included building a 10-foot bridge to cover a drainage ravine, benefitting Belmont Housing Resources for WNY.
Although all three officially earned Eagle Scout rank last year, the trio desired to hold their Court of Honor together. That’s the reason for Sunday’s joint ceremony, troop leaders said.
Also this week:
• A 6:30 p.m. Monday scheduled work-session of the Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board has been canceled.
• The Town Board will consider a petition by Carubba & Sons LLC to rezone a property at 3820 Union Road from a motor service to general commercial district among other agenda items during a 6:45 p.m. Monday meeting in council chambers at Cheektowaga Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• The Walden Galleria will play host to the Cheektowaga Chamber of Commerce’s Job Fair 2013 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday in the lower level of the shopping center near the Apple Computer Store. Sponsored by the mall as well as WNYJobs.com, about two dozen employers are expected to be on hand for the fair looking to hire qualified applicants.
• The Cheektowaga Central School District’s eighth annual Community Involvement Awards and Wall of Fame presentation will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday prior to a regularly scheduled 7 p.m. meeting of the district’s board of education. The awards presentation will be held at the high school, 3600 Union Road. The meeting will be held in the district’s board room at the high school.
• The Depew School Board will hold a 6:30 p.m. Tuesday work session for the district’s 2013-14 school budget at Depew High School, 5201 S. Transit Road.
• An Open Library Night, designed to allow families in the Cheektowaga-Sloan district to use the school library as they would a public library, will be held from 3-6 p.m. Wednesday at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, 166 Halstead Ave. The event will also include a book swap where five gently used books can be exchanged for other books.
• The town Planning Board will hold a 7 p.m. Thursday meeting in the council chambers at Town Hall.
• Friday begins Cheektowaga Central’s K-12 district art exhibit, which will be on display at Villa Maria College, 240 Pine Ridge Heritage Blvd., until Jan. 24.
• Friday is also the final day for nominations to be submitted for the 2012 Service To Youth & Outstanding Cheektowaga Youth Awards. Nomination forms are available by contacting Jillian Gorman-King at 897-7207, ext. 6648. The awards, which were established 22 years ago to recognize contributions to Cheektowaga’s youth, include categories for organizations, senior citizens, sports, businesses as well as awards for the Outstanding Cheektowaga Youth and General Outstanding Individual.