ADVERTISEMENT

Aurora

President Millard Fillmore is getting special attention in East Aurora this month when a bronze plaque will be the focus of a ceremony commemorating the return of the missing historic marker for Fillmore’s law office.

The Aurora Historical Society and the Vidler family will re-dedicate the historic marker, which had been removed years ago for safekeeping when the facade of Vidler’s current building was updated.

The law office stood on Main Street at the site of what is now Vidler’s. But the plaque never made it back to the building and was recently discovered in storage at the society’s Elbert Hubbard Roycroft Museum on Oakwood Avenue.

The ceremony is scheduled for noon Dec. 19. That day marks the 56th anniversary of the original dedication of the marker.

Fillmore’s law office was destroyed by fire in 1904, more than a half century after he had become president.

The marker is a part of bigger plans for remembering Fillmore. The society has launched an effort to construct a replica of the law office, as part of an expansion at the Millard Fillmore Museum site on Shearer Avenue. Plans also call for a statue of the 13th U.S. president at the corner of Main Street and Shearer Avenue.

A young Fillmore began his law career in Aurora in 1823. He built his home in 1826, and it now is a National Historic Landmark museum, owned and operated by the society.

Also this week:

• When the Town Board meets at 7 p.m. Monday, it is expected to consider matters involving assistant dog control officers, a dog license fee increase, and a dog kennel agreement. The board also is considering an open development area application for Grover Road. The board meets in the auditorium of the Southside Municipal Center, 300 Gleed Ave.