Town of Tonawanda
Young musicians in the Tonawandas are meeting this week with a composer/conductor whose works will be performed in upcoming concerts.
Members of the bands at Kenmore East and Tonawanda high schools will team up Wednesday with Sean O’Loughlin, a former Syracuse resident whose recent collaborations include Adele and Martina McBride. He has led performances by the Boston Pops and Hollywood Bowl orchestras, among others.
In addition to working with the bands on music he composed, O’Loughlin will talk to student composers about their music and tell them about his career.
Also this week:
• The Tonawanda Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday in council chambers at the municipal building, 2919 Delaware Ave. A work session begins at 4 in the second-floor conference room.
• The Kenmore Village Board meets at 8 p.m. Tuesday in council chambers at the municipal building. A work session begins at 8 in the mayor’s office.
• The public is invited to Stop Sip and Shop, sponsored by the Kenmore Merchants Association, from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Village Square Events & Catering by Sinatra’s, 2878 Delaware Ave. The holiday party and shopping event will highlight local businesses. Jazz singer Mari McNeil will perform, and there will be a cash bar and appetizers.
• Entry forms are due Friday for the 2012 Ken-Ton Energy-Efficient Holiday Decorating Contest. Sponsored by the town’s Environment Commission and the Police Club, there are six categories in which gift certificates will be awarded. Forms can be found online at www.tonawanda.ny.us or in the town supervisor’s office at the municipal building. Judging takes place the night of Dec. 10; winners will be announced at the Dec. 17 town board meeting.
• The annual holiday sing-along for the Ken-Ton community is scheduled for 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday at Crosby Field, off Colvin Boulevard. There will be a bonfire, hot beverages and a visit from Santa Claus.