ADVERTISEMENT

NIAGARA FALLS – Proceeds from the sale of the 2013 edition of the LaSalle Legacy Calendar, featuring historic photographs of the former village of LaSalle, will be used to install historical monuments in what now is the LaSalle neighborhood of the City of Niagara Falls.

The calendars will go on sale for $10 each at the annual meeting of the LaSalle Pride organization at 6 p.m. today in the second floor of the LaSalle Branch Library, 8728 Buffalo Ave.

Teresa Lasher Winslow, former historian for Niagara County and an authority on the former village of LaSalle, will present an illustrated talk about the neighborhood as part of a continuing series of programs on the area. Present and former residents of LaSalle are encouraged to bring pictures and other memorabilia to the meeting, where they can be scanned and returned to their owners.

LaSalle, once a part of the Town of Niagara, became a village in 1897. As industries grew along the Niagara River, the village expanded along the Buffalo Avenue corridor, and housing for the workers was needed.

New developments sprang up just upstream from the factories, and the streetcar line on Buffalo Avenue made it logical to develop the farmlands of LaSalle into housing stock. Pressure to build more schools, roads, water and sewer lines were major factors in the vote that annexed LaSalle to the City of Niagara Falls in 1927.

Photos in the 2013 calendar include the houses built for employees of the International Paper Co. on 67th and 68th streets; Griffon Manor on 93rd to 96th streets; the original McDonald’s restaurant on Niagara Falls Boulevard, which then was called Pine Avenue; cottages on Cayuga Island and at Niagara Falls Boulevard and 56th Street; Bacon Memorial Presbyterian Church on 59th Street; and home construction in the 500 block of 73rd Street.

The calendars, which now are in their second year of production, will be on sale from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturdays in the LaSalle Branch Library and from 2 to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Local History Department on the third floor of the main library at 1425 Main St. They will also be sold during the winter festival from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the main library.

email: rbaldwin@buffnews.com