ADVERTISEMENT

LOCKPORT – Paul E. Buck Jr., one of three men under indictment in the case of the near-fatal shooting of a Niagara Falls 18-year-old, received his new attorney today.

Dominic Saraceno, of the Niagara County conflict defender’s office, was assigned to the case after Buck asked for the removal of Assistant Public Defender Matthew P. Pynn, whose work was criticized in open court by County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III earlier this month.

Murphy said Pynn should have questioned Niagara Falls Detective John Conti more closely at an evidence suppression hearing, after a video of Buck’s interrogation showed Buck had repeatedly asked to leave, something Conti denied on the witness stand.

Murphy said Buck is the only one of the three defendants who gave anything resembling a confession, but if the statement is suppressed, there will be no need to try the three separately. The evidence hearing will continue Dec. 17 with Conti on the stand.

Buck, 23, of Niagara Falls Boulevard; Marlyn M. Rubin, 20, of Niagara Street; and Jacob J. Taggart, 23, of Niagara Avenue all have rejected plea offers in connection with the shooting of Anthony McDougald, who was left with a bullet lodged in his chest after the April 25 shooting at 12th and Niagara streets.