ADVERTISEMENT

ALFRED -- The natural gas explosion that destroyed some of the Rose Apartments here Sunday was caused by a natural gas leak triggered by someone installing a snow fence about 20 feet from the building, Jeff Luckey, Allegany County Director of Emergency Services, told the news media Tuesday. Luckey and National Fuel officials said the leaking gas traveled to a utility room in the building, and a spark triggered the blast.

Two residents who were hurt have been hospitalized but not publicly identified. Police continue to investigate who might have been installing the snow fence.