ADVERTISEMENT

NIAGARA FALLS – The state Department of Environmental Conservation announced this week that it believes no further remedial efforts are needed at the former Union Carbide plant, 1501 College Ave.

The 12.25-acre site, operated by Union Carbide from 1910 to 1986, now is owned by Santarosa Holdings, which has planned a tire recycling facility there.

The Niagara County Brownfield Development Corp. lent Santarosa $634,900 to help pay for the cleanup of the site through demolition of abandoned factories and capping of the PCBs, organic chemicals and heavy metals that were left behind by Union Carbide.

A 45-day public comment period on the DEC’s decision to call a halt to the cleanup runs out Dec. 22.