TOWN OF LOCKPORT – A cigarette that had been thrown into a garbage can was blamed for a small garage fire on Johnson Road today.

Homeowner Daryl S. Hall, of 4142 Johnson Road, told Niagara County sheriff’s deputies that he was awakened to a smoke detector just after midnight. In his attached garage, he found a small fire near the south wall, with a garbage can and dresser ablaze.

Hall was able to extinguish most of the fire with a bucket of water. Deputies brought a fire extinguisher from the patrol car and sprayed the dresser which was still smouldering. Wrights Corners Fire volunteers arrived and doused the damaged dresser with water. Also damaged was a nearby chair and night stand. Total loss was estimated at $800.

Hall said the fire was started by a cigarette that was placed into the garbage can. No injuries were reported.