An inmate in the Erie County Holding Center who was involved in a fight with another inmate in June died from his injuries on Aug. 31, officials said Friday.
Patrick Yale, 49, was assaulted on the same day he was placed in custody at the jail on a parole violation, said Thomas Diina, acting jail superintendent.
Tyshawn Ball, 19, of Buffalo, who was initially charged with felony second-degree assault for his role in the attack, is now charged with second-degree murder, said Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.
“This was really an assault that ended up being a murder,” Diina said.
Ball beat his fellow inmate to death, the District Attorney’s Office said.
Diina said no weapon was used in the fight.
The superintendent declined to release some details because it is a pending criminal matter, but he said there is no indication that a previous dispute led to the confrontation in the jail.
“There’s no indication the two individuals knew each other,” Diina said. “There’s no indication there was anything from the street.”
Yale was taken to Erie County Medical Center after the fight.
A deputy conducting observation safety checks shortly before 9 p.m. on June 19 heard yelling and banging coming from one side of the Holding Center.
He responded to the scene and found the 49-year-old inmate lying on the ground.
Ball was transferred on June 22, a couple of days after Yale suffered the injuries, and is no longer housed in the Holding Center.
An investigation by the Sheriff’s Office’s Investigative Services and Professional Standards unit showed that all policies and procedure were followed by the jail staff, Diina said.
“Everything was done correctly,” he said, everything from the safety check to the response to the medical emergency.
Ball had been in jail for two days before the fight. At the time, Ball was locked up on arson and assault charges for allegedly starting a fire in his family’s home and assaulting his mother and sister June 17.
Ball faces up to four years if convicted of those charges.
He faces up to 25 years in prison on the second-degree murder charge following Yale’s death, Sedita’s office said.
Ball is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday before State Supreme Court Justice Deborah Haendiges on the murder charge.