WHEATFIELD - A one-story home was damaged when a dryer caught fire at 12:30 p.m. Monday on Sy Road.
Volunteer firefighters from Bergholz were assisted by St. Johnsburg and Frontier fire companies and had the fire at 6858 Sy Road under control in about half an hour, according to Berholz Assistant Fire Chief Dennis Stoelting. The homeowners, who were not identified, were displaced from the house and are now staying with family, Stoelting said.
"[A woman] in the house saw that the dryer was on fire and called 911 and got out," Stoelting said.
The dryer was in an attached garage and the fire spread to the rear the house.
"The back end of the house sustained some pretty good damage," Stoelting said. "The dryer was in the back part of the house, in a garage that was used mostly for storage. There was damage to that area and the house sustained some smoke damage."
No injuries were reported, damage estimates are not finalized and an investigation into the cause is continuing.