Jan. 31, 1920 - Aug. 14, 2012
A Mass of Christian Burial for Joseph J. Andrycha of Buffalo, a World War II veteran who was active in military and community affairs, will be will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday in Assumption Catholic Church, 435 Amherst St.
Mr. Andrycha died Aug. 14 in Sisters Hospital - St. Joseph Campus, Cheektowaga, after a brief illness. He was 92.
Born in Buffalo, he was a graduate of Hutchinson-Central High School. He was an Army corporal during World War II, serving in the European Theater.
A draftsman/mechanical engineer, Mr. Andrycha worked for General Riveters from 1945 to 1961, then for Trico Products from 1961 until his retirement in 1983. He also was an inventor and held more than nine patents, including one for a rivet feeding apparatus.
Long after completing his military service, Mr. Andrycha was involved in efforts to obtain recognition for other hometown heros.
He led the movement to secure recognition for Buffalo native Matt Urban, who was one of the most highly decorated World War II veterans. He also led the effort to have the former School 79 named for Pfc. William Grabiarz, a Black Rock native who gave his life to save his commanding officer in 1945.
Mr. Andrycha was instrumental in raising money to have 10 veterans from the Hertel-Military avenues neighborhood who were killed in World War II recognized with a plaque and flag at Niagara Frontier Post 1041, American Legion, on Amherst Street.
He was active in the community for more than 50 years, as a member and former president of the Hertel Avenue Citizens and Taxpayers Association. In 1978, the organization honored him for his years of service.
He was a member of the St. Florian Holy Name Society and served as an usher at the church. He also was a member of the American Legion. His interests included golf and gardening.
Survivors include his wife, Stella Wojcieszak Andrycha, and a son, Richard.