ADVERTISEMENT

England

WikiLeaks says attack has bogged down site

LONDON (AP) – The secret-busting organization WikiLeaks says it’s been the victim of a sustained denial-of-service attack which has left its website sluggish or inaccessible for more than a week.
In a statement released late Saturday the group said the assault intensified around the beginning of August and has since expanded to include attacks against affiliated sites.
Denial-of-service attacks work by overwhelming websites with requests for information.
WikiLeaks has said it’s been flooded with 10 gigabits per second of bogus traffic from thousands of different Internet addresses.
Josh Corman, with online content delivery company Akamai, characterized that as “a bit larger” than attacks commonly seen in the past few years.
WikiLeaks, which has angered officials in Washington with its spectacular releases of classified U.S. documents, remained inaccessible Sunday.
mali

Marchers press for unity government

BAMAKO, Mali (AP) A member of the Islamic High Council in Mali says that about 50,000 people marched Sunday in the capital to pressure the government to form a transitional unity government.
Bamako resident Mahamane Maiga says that he participated in the march because the government is losing time to regain the north, which has been taken over by Islamists groups trying to impose Shariah law.
Moussa Ba, the president of the council’s youth league, says that the prime minister’s decision to not step aside for the transformation of a unity government is hampering efforts to reclaim the north, and he must work with the president to form such a transition.
A 3,000-member military intervention force assembled by the West African regional bloc is awaiting a formal request for intervention from Mali’s Interim President Dioncounda Traore, who will make the request once the unity government is formed, according to officials. The bloc gave the country until Aug. 10 to form a unity government.
england

Firefighters control recycling plant blaze

LONDON (AP) – Firefighters battled a massive blaze at an east London recycling center Sunday as the city prepared for the closing ceremony of the Olympics. Officials said the blaze was the biggest they’d seen in the city for years, but that the games would in no way be affected.
The fire – about 7 miles east of the Olympic Park – was brought under control by late Sunday.
A London Fire Brigade statement said the whole of the 165 feet by 330 feet, single-story recycling center had burned and that, at one point, a plume of smoke could be seen across the capital.
“We’ve not seen a fire of this size in London for several years,” London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said.
In a message later posted to Twitter, the fire service said the Dagenham fire had been contained.
“We’ll be spending the night tamping it down,” the tweet said.
“An Olympic effort by all. Enjoy the Closing Ceremony.”
The cause of the fire wasn’t yet known.
No injuries have been reported.