ADVERTISEMENT

Lockport man pleads guilty to 3 child porn felonies

LOCKPORT – A Level 1 sex offender from Niagara Falls faces between 10 and 20 years in state prison after pleading guilty Thursday to three child pornography felonies.
Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas will decide Nov. 1 on a sentence for Che A. Villar, 36, of 20th Street. He admitted to three counts of promoting a sexual performance by a child as a sexually motivated felony, and one count of failing to report his email address to state authorities, as sex offenders are required to do.
Twenty years is the maximum sentence available for the charges, Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth R. Donatello said.
She said 400 to 600 images of child porn were found in the cache of Villar’s home computer after a police search April 25 that followed Villar’s arrest for making obscene phone calls to the customer service department of a children’s clothing manufacturer.
Villar said he took the plea offer to avoid prosecution on the child porn charges by the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Federal sentences for child porn are harsher than those in state law.

Torso of woman believed killed pulled from river

NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. – The torso of a woman who is believed to have been killed was recovered from the lower Niagara River near the Rainbow Bridge about 2 p.m. Wednesday, Canadian authorities reported Thursday.
After the body was reported floating in the river, Niagara Parks Police, Niagara Regional Police, detectives and forensic investigators responded to the scene. An initial inquiry indicated the torso was that of a middle-aged white woman homicide victim who had at least one Caesarean section and a tubal ligation procedure, as well as a pierced navel.
Regional police confirmed the finding is not related to the ongoing Peel Police investigation of the murder of Guang Hua Liu of Scarborough.
An autopsy is being conducted at Hamilton General Hospital with the findings to be released today.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Regional Police Service’s Major Crime Unit at (905) 688-4111, Ext. 4200. Information can be left on the Major Crime tip line at Ext. 4468.

Man is shot and killed in middle of Northland Ave.

Buffalo homicide detectives are investigating the fatal shooting of an unidentified male in the 900 block of Northland Avenue about 6:30 p.m. today.
Witnesses to the incident told officers they heard multiple gunshots before a man fell dead in the middle of the street.

Construction worker struck by vehicle on Thruway

A construction worker on a Thruway paving job was struck by a construction vehicle on the westbound Interstate 90 between the Hamburg and Eden exits about 1:20 p.m. today, and that section of the roadway remained closed past 7 p.m. as state police investigated the crash.
The injured worker, whose name and condition were not immediately released by Thruway-based troopers, was taken by Mercy Flight to Erie County Medical Center.

Olean man pleads guilty in burglary, police chase

LITTLE VALLEY – An Olean man who led police on a high-speed chase into Pennsylvania in late March while being sought for an Olean burglary staged last year, pleaded guilty to both cases this week before Cattaraugus County Judge Larry Himelein.
Paul E. Tyler, 25, who has been jailed since his capture by Olean police in woods outside of Turtlepoint, Pa., just across the border last March 29, pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted burglary for his role as the only person charged in an Olean break-in in June 2011, and to criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and reckless driving for the March car chase.
Tyler, who faces a multiyear state prison term, was jailed pending his Nov. 13 sentencing. After the plea proceeding, Cattaraugus County District Attorney Lori Pettit Rieman commended the joint efforts of the Olean police, the Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Office and state police in bringing Tyler to justice.

Gun stolen from Stafford in ’74 surfaces in Indiana

STAFFORD – Authorities say a handgun stolen from a Genesee County store nearly 40 years ago has resurfaced in Indiana.
In a story reported by Indiana’s Greencastle Banner, police in Putnam County, Ind., said the .22-caliber revolver was discharged at a home in Reelsville, Ind., early Monday. No one was injured, and the man who fired the gun surrendered to police.
Putnam County sheriff’s deputies ran the gun’s serial number and learned it was among more than 30 firearms stolen in 1974 from a store in Stafford, more than 500 miles east of Reelsville.
The gun will be sent back to Genesee County, where police will try to return it to the original owner, if possible.