There are lots of chocolate cake recipes in the world. But this one is funny: You don't use a mixing bowl. You don't need butter or eggs. You kind of play around with the ingredients. And when it bakes, it makes a cake that's yummy.
There are similar cakes online, but more than 50 years ago, when some people put together a 4-H cookbook called "ABC's of Food," they named it Funny Cake.
1. Everyone, wash your hands.
2. Find these ingredients and put on the kitchen table: Flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking soda, vegetable oil, white vinegar, vanilla.
3. Find this equipment and put on the kitchen table: 8-inch square baking pan, flour sifter, measuring cups, measuring spoons, soup spoon, dinner knife, mixing spoon.
4. Set sifter into the baking pan. Measure dry ingredients using a soup spoon for scooping and a knife to even off the top. Scoop flour into a 1 cup measuring cup. Put in sifter. Spoon more flour into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Add to sifter. Scoop sugar into a 1 cup measuring cup. Add to sifter. Spoon cocoa into 1/4 cup measuring cup. Add to sifter. Measure 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to sifter. Measure 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add to sifter. Sift all together into baking pan.
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Use mixing spoon to make three holes in the flour mixture. Think craters on the moon.
7. Measure 1 teaspoon vanilla into one hole. Measure 1/3 cup vegetable oil into another hole. Measure 1 teaspoon vinegar into the last hole.
8. Measure 1 cup cold water. Pour carefully over ingredients in the pan. Mix gently with spoon until lumps are gone. Don't forget to mix in the corners.
9. Put cake in the hot oven. Set a timer for 35 minutes.
10. When the timer goes off the cake should be done; it will begin to pull away from the pan's edges. Put cake on a metal rack to cool. When cake is well cooled, dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with a favorite frosting; decorate if you like. Serve from pan.