TOWN OF NIAGARA – The Town of Niagara Historical Society has announced that it will open the museum in its 1878 one-room schoolhouse at Lockport and Tuscarora roads on Father’s Day, this Sunday, with a special exhibit about men in the community.
The exhibit includes a patriotic quilt top from the 1940s embroidered with the names and branches of service of more than 100 local residents who fought in World War II and a display that recognizes Air National Guard First Lt. Garland Russell Flint, who crashed his malfunctioning F-86 jet fighter to avoid hitting children at the Military Road Elementary School in 1953 instead of parachuting to safety.
The museum will be open every Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. Attractions include activities for children, old photo albums, an original outhouse and other items from the former Town of Niagara District School No. 2, where classes were held until 1954. Admission is free.