LOCKPORT – Bidding for the reconstruction of Lincoln Avenue, one of the Lockport area’s largest road projects, is expected in December.
Richard W. Eakin, Niagara County deputy public works commissioner for engineering, said last week that the county will hire a contractor to repave the Town of Lockport portion of the heavily traveled street from Beattie Avenue to Akron Road.
The cost is estimated at between $7 million and $8 million, Eakin said.
“I hope we can get it done in one year,” he said.
Work will include moving an 8-inch town water main, which runs beneath the south shoulder of the road from Beattie Avenue to just west of Davison Road.
Town Supervisor Marc R. Smith said last week that the town, which thought that it might have to pay as much as $500,000 for the water line relocation, now has been informed that it will have to come up with no more than $50,200.
Smith said the work involves the removal of some of the ground cover along Lincoln Avenue.
“We’d really run the risk of freezing it if we didn’t move it at this time,” Smith said.
Eakin said $50,200 is 20 percent of the cost of the water line move. Under the funding plan for the project, the federal government will pay the other 80 percent. However, it is anticipated that state aid will reimburse the county for three-fourths of that 20 percent, leaving the county to pay only 5 percent.
If that state reimbursement does come in, Eakin said, the town will have to pay only $12,550 toward the water line move, which overall will cost only about half of what the town originally expected.
A new storm sewer also will be installed along the street, Eakin said.
Turning lanes will be installed at the Beattie and Akron intersections, but otherwise Lincoln will not be widened, Eakin said. Little private property will need to be taken, he said.
The boundary between the Lockport city and town runs along Lincoln east of Beattie. The portion of Lincoln west of Beattie, which is entirely within the city limits, will not be part of the project.